Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Cover songs

So I really love cover songs. What I like about the most is, I like to hear as well as understanding the new perspective and approaches of the ones who cover these songs. The other thing is, I'd like people who takes an old song or from a different era, and bring it to the contemporary way of singing. Here are some of cover tracks that I found which I happened t loveee.... njoy.
Michael Johns - To Love Somebody. (Originally by The Bee Gees). A classic bee gees song, the song is originally recorded as part of bee gees' style of singing, since they happened to be the pioneer of dance music. But Michael Johns took it all back, recorded the particular song to transform it to a great ballad, a great interpretation of the song, and supported by Johns' mature vocals. Great.
Daughtry - Poker Face. (Originally by Lady GaGa). I found it a bit odd for Daughtry, a hard rock band to take a Lady Gaga number. First of all, this particular track is not released a single, and I think it's just a Daughtry performs, jams with the song and it's recorded. However, the approach is there, Daughtry just made a dance, bizarre song into a sensitive rock ballad. Kind of weird, but I commend the band for their brave mood.
James Morrison - The Man In The Mirror. (Originally by Michael Jackson ). One of the best song ever, by the late great MJ. I don't need to tell anyone how great this song is. All I need to say that how James Morrison did such a beautiful acoustic version of the song, I think this could be a great single for him. The song reaches the new meaning with this rendition of JM. No need to say anything more, I like this so much, more than Kris Allen's rendition on idol.
Boyz II Men - I Can't Make You Love Me. (Originally by Bonnie Raitt). This is a ballad country song. Bonnie Raitt received a huge amount of success with this track. Boyz II Men took this piece and turn the song into a gospel-soul rendition, which basically what they are known for. So this piece is going to be in the boys' new album. And I believe it's going to be released as a single. For now, for everyone who doesn't recognize this song, they'd think that the song is the boys' original song. They did a great job.
Cory Monteith (Glee Cast) - I'll Stand By You. (Originally by The Pretenders). Such a classic song this is. Anyone who tries to copy this song normally fails in comparison to the original, particularly because the Pretenders did an exceptional job with their song. Cory Monteith, from GLEE I think, does an OK job, I mean, I give his rendition credit, because it's a song sung by a girl, and he managed to do a good job. However, I don't think he's doing anything new to the song that would jump me out of chair when I hear it, so it's good, but not spectacular like what I had hoped for. However, I like listening to this song more and more, don't know why, maybe the simplicity works for me.


-BELUM SELESAI-

0 comments: